[Digikam-users] Testers needed.

Thorsten Schnebeck thorsten.schnebeck at gmx.net
Sun Jan 15 21:17:14 GMT 2006

Am Sonntag 15 Januar 2006 20:34 schrieb Tom Albers:
> To test:
> http://digikam3rdparty.free.fr/0.8.0/digikam-0.8.1-rc2.tar.bz2

OK, here is my report based on KDE-3.5-SVN, HAL 4.8 and a cardreader on Linux
2.6.14. Cause 2.6.14 is _very_ slow when transferring data to a vfat
partition that is synced mounted, I do not use this option and normally mount
and unmount the device via the media kicker applet.

When plug-in the cardreader I see an icon in kicker, the card is mounted and a
konqi-window is open (my standard). When starting digiKam rc2 I see a new
menu Camera->Browse Media and a list of all devices incl. NFS partitions and
my cardreader option.

Curious I choose my unmounted /boot partition which also has a square
character at the end of the menu text. digikam tries to mount this partition
(without having the rights), opens five download windows and hangs.

Next try: Now I try to open another option of the media browse menu. But these
do not show any reaction.

I also discovered a new menu in the kicker media browser called "digiKam mount
and download" which is BTW too technical and too long ;-) This opens a new
instance of digiKam (which I do not like very much) and opens the download
window. Downloading this way works fine.

I did not found a unmount option in digikam but I could unmount via the kicker
applet and this does not produce any bad influence to the running digiKam
instance.

So, as a reviewer I would vote to deactivate this option as default cause
- its on the wrong place, this optiton has to be part of the camera config
menu and an alternative to static mounting
- it offers a choice which can make digiKam hang
- the main media browse menu has here no working function
- it too unfinished for a stable version

If possible lets active it with a configure option.

HTH

  Thorsten