[Digikam-users] memory consume

Gilles Caulier caulier.gilles at free.fr
Tue Jan 10 10:29:32 GMT 2006

Le Mardi 10 Janvier 2006 11:24, Martin Ehmke a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> I am running digikam 0.8.0 and just noticed that it consumes so much
> memory, when downloading pictures from the camera (I use USB PTP). At the
> beginnig everything is fine, but the further it advances downloading the
> pictures, the more memory it consumes. At the end I usually have to restart
> digikam, so that my system works again...
> This problem appears to exist only when/after downloading pictures.
>
> Maybe someone knows possible reasons for that...
>
> Best regards
> Martin Ehmke

The better way to check memory leak is to use valgrind tool like this :

valgrind --tool=memcheck --leak-check=full --error-limit=no digikam

note that digikam must be compiled using all debug information to get witch
source code line(s) are in default.

I had no PTP camera, only USB mass storage here to test.

When you run digikam under valgrind, the speed is very low ( divide per 15
approximativly), but speed performance is not the issue with valgrind because
it check all memory allocations/desallocations completed by the program.

Reproduce all action in digiKam using valgrind, all post all error console
messages provides by valgrind.

Thanks in advance.