[Digikam-users] Does automatic rotation according to EXIF work correctly?

Tomas spam at jas.lt
Tue Feb 28 20:34:44 GMT 2006

Hello,

first of all thanks to developers for a nice and very usable appliaction.

I have a small problem though.
I use Kuickshow as my main picture viewer. As far as I understand Kuickshow
supports EXIF information and rotate "portrait" pictures to correct position
(landscape->portrait). Other image viewers like KView or ImageMagick's
"display" show pictures in incorrect (landscape)  position (I suppose they
don't support EXIF orientation tag).

The problems start when I select digiKam's option to rotate pictures
automaticly. After rotation KView and  display show images correctly
("portrait"), but Kuickshow and even digiKam's thumbnail browser shows them
in rotated ("landscape") position! I suppose that digiKam fails to update
EXIF orientation information in picture files and Kuickshow rotates already
rotated image. DigiKam option "Embeded Info->Set EXIF orientation tag to
normal after rotate/flip" doesn't help. I think that there's a bug somewhere.

My camera is Panasonic DMC-FZ5 (this camera has position sensor). I use it as
a mass storage device (without gphoto2). KDE 3.5.0, digiKam  0.8.1,
libexif-0.6.12, libkexif-0.2.2, kuickshow 0.8.7.

Regards,
Tomas