[Digikam-users] Photographs with metadata...

Thorsten Schnebeck thorsten.schnebeck at gmx.net
Thu Feb 23 14:28:32 GMT 2006

Am Donnerstag 23 Februar 2006 13:57 schrieb Gilles Caulier:

> I think that it's not need to recreate a new project based on
> ExifTool. Contribute to Exiv2 is certainly the better choose...

Yes, I have pointed Phil to exiv2 as it has already the same
reading logic and has the same object orientated structure like
ExifTool. There are also some other very good C/C++ metatag
decoder out there.
But generic writing support for so many image formats it that what
makes ExifTool up to now unique - and it could be that exiv2
needs a deeper restructuring when it wants to have 1st class
writing support. When Phil starts implementing writing support
with Version 5.00 this was nearly a rewrite of 4.xx and that old
version had also very good decoding quality.
When implementing writing you have all the problems with different
TAGs meaning the same thing and so on.
I think exiv2 will have excellent support of decoding metatags for
all current raw formats in a shorter time. But I also think, that
writing metatag will be limited by the possibilities of libjpeg,
libpng, libtiff and copying  binary objects etc. But stuff like
integrating IPTC into mrw - I think - this needs a longer time.

Bye

  Thorsten