[Digikam-users] Color Mgmt: Nikon D80; Printer Profile use; GAMMAPage

Ari El ari.reads at gmail.com
Fri Dec 29 04:24:12 GMT 2006

Hi, I have a few questions regarding color managment, hopefully someone has
gone through this already; I read all threads I found on color managment and
they don't seem to be addressed yet.

  (sorry if these questions sound repetitive, I guess color management is a
needed but complex issue)

  1- Nikon D80 Input color profile: can someone recommend what profile to
use in digicam (and hopefully post it somewhere?) I have captured the icc's
from Nikon windows software (such as NKDBase_NEF.icm, etc) and tried them
all, but they produce bad results (very obscure output). I also installed
Bibble Pro and as mentioned elsewhere, I ended up with some 5 profiles that
look somewhat good, however I'd think that only one of those is the correct
one? Can someone suggest?

  2- I used the application GAMMAPage as a poor man's monitor calibrator,
which if used properly is supposed to aid setting the monitor to "sRGB
standard 2.2". Then I set in Digikam's ICC settings "Monitor"=sRGB and
activated "Use color managed view"... is this correct? (I mean, I'm not even
sure that what I'm doing makes sense or not)

  3- I need to make a few large prints; I am going to use a Lab that
provided me with the color profile of their printer. I loaded this profile
into Digikam's ICC setting "Soft Proof", is this right? If so, when is this
profile actually applied ? Is it when I save the image in the ImageEditor in
tiff format to hand them over to the lab? Can someone shed some light on
this?

  4- If I understood correctly, the "workspace" is a temporary space used
while processing. Can someone recommend what to use here? (in this case the
application is: load the NEFs > crop & adjust > sharpen > save the tiffs for
the lab)

Thanks a bunch,