[Digikam-users] compiling in home directory

Sami Cokar sami_cokar at hotmail.com
Fri Dec 15 04:58:22 GMT 2006

>From: Fabien <fabien.ubuntu at gmail.com>
>To: digikam-users at kde.org
>Subject: Re: [Digikam-users] digikam 0.9.0-rc2 initial feedback
>Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2006 18:46:40 +0100
>
>Hello,
>
>Sami Cokar wrote:
> >
> > I tried another test today compiling and installing into my homedir and
>it
> > seems the "read" command does not actually wait for input in my
>environment
> > (ubuntu feisty):
> >
> > A)
> > started via:
> > ./compile_digikam.sh
> >
> > B)
> > scokar at goalmole:~/documents/digikam$ diff compile_digikam.txt
> > compile_digikam.sh
> > 3c3
> > < export DIGIKAMDEST=/home/fabien/myopt/
> > ---
> >
> >>export DIGIKAMDEST=/home/scokar/documents/digikam/
> >

> > C)
> > make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/scokar/documents/digikam/libs'
> > echo "OK to make install ?? press any key"
> > + echo OK to make install ?? press any key
> > OK to make install ?? press any key
> > read
> > + read
> > read: 1: arg count
>
>Hmm, I already noticed this behavior on ubuntu 6.10. It seems there's a
>timeout that doesn't exist with previous version. In my case, if I don't
>press a key within n minutes, it breaks...
>
>Is it the same for you ?
>I didn't find where they defined this default value. It should be
>possible to override it by using  TMOUT :
>
><<
>If set to a value greater than zero, TMOUT  is  treated  as  the
>         default timeout for the read builtin.  The select command
>terminates if input does not arrive after TMOUT seconds when input is
>coming  from  a terminal.  In an interactive shell, the value is
>interpreted as the number of seconds to  wait  for  input  after issuing
>   the  primary prompt.  Bash terminates after waiting for that number of
>seconds if input does not arrive.
>  >>

>But, I didn't try it.

Ubuntu feisty (and maybe 6.10) has /bin/sh linked to /bin/dash which causes
the scripts from the svn site to behave as follows:

    pull src from svn, configure, compile, NOT pause at the "read" command
and NOT perform a 'make install'

If in the compile scripts I change the first line to:

   #!/bin/bash

then the "read" command will wait for input but ALWAYS install on keypress.

if you want a "yes/no" option, please try the following:

#!/bin/sh  -xve

export DIGIKAMDEST=/home/username/digikam-svn/
export KDEDIRS=$DIGIKAMDEST:/usr ; export
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$DIGIKAMDEST/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH ; export
LDPATH=$DIGIKAMDEST/lib:$LDPATH
export PATH=$DIGIKAMDEST/bin:$PATH

echo "Get, compile and install exiv2"
svn co svn://dev.robotbattle.com/exiv2/trunk exiv2-svn

cd exiv2-svn
make config
./configure --prefix=$DIGIKAMDEST
make -j 4

read -p "OK to make install?  Y or y " answer
if [ "$answer" = "y" ] || [ "$answer" = "Y" ]
   then
      make install
      exit
    fi
echo "Finished compiling exiv2"
cd ..

This does not have a default behavior for a timeout so that if you leave
your script running and go to sleep, it will wait until you answer the
question.