[Digikam-users] "rebuild all thumbnails" question

Gilles Caulier caulier.gilles at kdemail.net
Tue Dec 12 13:43:51 GMT 2006

On Tuesday 12 December 2006 14:44, Daniel Bauer wrote:
> [...]
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > "rebuild all thumbnails" doesn't build the thumbnails for 16-bit tiffs
> > > made by photoshop here.
> > >
> > > Thumbnails are created when looking at the album and pictures can
> > > normally worked with, but "rebuild all thumbnails" seems to ignore
> > > them.
> > >
> > > Is this intended?
> >
> > no... Normally it must work. Please give me some 16 bits tiff pictures
> > generated by photoshop to test.
>
> I am uploading a picture. It was not made by photoshop but by Canon soft.
> I'll send you the url by private message, cause I can't publish this one...
>
> > Also try to put this picture in a digiKam album : are you see the thumb ?
>
> Pictures *are* in a digikam album. Thumbs are created for those which are
> visible in the album window. I even moved the files within digikam to a
> newly created album, tried, quit digikam, tried again... doesn't work.
>
> > If you press F5 key, the thumbs from album content are regenerated ?
>
> No. Only those that are visible. Console shows
>
> kio_digikamthumbnail: /home/digi/Bilder/neu/img_1051.TIF : TIFF file
> identified
>
> for the visible ones, then when I move down in the album, next visibles are
> generated.
>
> When I click the rebuild tool in the menu, console shows:
>
> ALSA lib confmisc.c:670:(snd_func_card_driver) cannot find card '0'
> ALSA lib conf.c:3479:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_card_driver
> returned error: No such device
> ALSA lib confmisc.c:391:(snd_func_concat) error evaluating strings
> ALSA lib conf.c:3479:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_concat
> returned error: No such device
> ALSA lib confmisc.c:1070:(snd_func_refer) error evaluating name
> ALSA lib conf.c:3479:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_refer
> returned error: No such device
> ALSA lib conf.c:3947:(snd_config_expand) Evaluate error: No such device
> ALSA lib pcm.c:2143:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM default
> auto_sink: Could not load oss
> auto_sink: Could not load sun
> akode: Could not open auto-sink
> KNotify::playTimeout
>
> when I say continue, console output is the following:
>
> kio_digikamthumbnail: /home/digi/Bilder/Gilles/IMG_0048_photoshop.tif :
> TIFF file identified
> kio_digikamthumbnail: Use Exif/Iptc preview extraction. Size of image:
> 800x533 kio_digikamthumbnail: Use Exif/Iptc preview extraction. Size of
> image: 800x533 kio_digikamthumbnail: /home/digi/Bilder/küchlin/bar.tiff :
> TIFF file identified
> kio_digikamthumbnail: /home/digi/Bilder/Gilles/IMG_0048_photoshop.tif :
> TIFF file identified
> kio_digikamthumbnail: Use Exif/Iptc preview extraction. Size of image:
> 800x533 kio_digikamthumbnail: Use Exif/Iptc preview extraction. Size of
> image: 800x533 kio_digikamthumbnail: /home/digi/Bilder/küchlin/bar.tiff :
> TIFF file identified
>
> that's all - but there are many more pictures...

Ok. I understand. The software record a preview in IPTC tag with is used by
digiKam to render in a fast way the thumb. This preview is normalized (in
image file format to use). Generaly, we using JPEG but others file format can
be embedded in this tag (like tiff, JPEG2000, PNM, etc...)

I will look witch image file format the software use...

Question : in IPTC tab, there are preview tags avaialble for this image ?

Gilles