[Digikam-users] Fwd: Re: Exiv2 library missing???

Fabien fabien.ubuntu at gmail.com
Fri Dec 8 17:46:52 GMT 2006

Hi,

Angelo Naselli wrote:
> Alle 10:14, venerdì 8 dicembre 2006, Thorsten Schnebeck ha scritto:
 >
 > [...]
>
> And that imo should be the right way to.
>
>>But kipi-check destroys/adjusts your PKG_CONFIG_PATH:
>
> hmm I'll check it, if so the wrong behavior is there, not in the exiv2 test.

Right.

>>>#------------------------------------------------------------------
>>># KIPI support (KDE Image Plugin Interface)
>>>#------------------------------------------------------------------
>>>
>>>if test "$PKGCONFIGFOUND" = "yes" ; then
>
> hmm if I'm not wrong that is the way it's used by digikam, amarok and kipi & co.
> to be honest I don't like adding a way to overwrite standard way though.
>
>>>   # check for libkipi
>>>   have_libkipi=no
>>>
>>>   PKG_CONFIG_PATH="$prefix/lib${kdelibsuff}/pkgconfig:$PKG_CONFIG_PATH"
>>>   if test "$prefix" != "$kde_libs_prefix"; then
>>>       PKG_CONFIG_PATH="$kde_libs_prefix/lib${kdelibsuff}/pkgconfig:
>>>$PKG_CONFIG_PATH"
>>>   fi
>>>   export PKG_CONFIG_PATH
>
> hmm reading the above code it seems not to override anything, it simply
> add as first entry the $prefix/lib... path. Again if I'm not wrong we're
> talking about configure script so --prefix change the install path and
> $prefix variable. So what you saw it's a way to say to configure to find
> first pkgconfig directory in your installation directory and after that
> int the standard one.
> Let's say you're using ./configure --prefix=$HOME/KDE/INSTALL,
> PKG_CONFIG_PATH will be "/home/yourhome/KDE/INSTALL/lib/pkgconfig:old_path"
> So if you use a PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/my/optional/installation/lib/pkgconfig:/usr/lib/pkgconfig
> and run configure again you should change the beahvior as you like.

The problem is not on the 1st line that even permit us to not have to
define manually PKG_CONFIG_PATH.
It's on the 3rd line that add
$kde_libs_prefix/lib${kdelibsuff}/pkgconfig before the 1st path.

>>If your stable version of libexiv2 stays in $prefix/lib${kdelibsuff} you can
>>not use another lib version cause KIPI support overwrites PKG_CONFIG_PATH.
>
> I don't get it sorry. If I'm not wrong libexiv can't be compiled togheter
> kipi & co or digikam or... It's a different package/project. So you should use
> ./configure --prefix=/my/optional/installation/ for exiv and cahnge your PKG_CONFIG_FILE
> variable should work for other projects. Am I missing something?

This works perfectly except if exiv2 is installed with developpment
headers in the default previx (usually /usr/lib). In that case, the
local lib won't be used...
But, this could be solved easily in the admin/acinclude.m4.in

I tried, but it's not enough because -L/usr/lib is used before
-L/my/local/path when linking, so it's not enough (cf my previous email).

My opinion is that's not a problem directly related to digikam, but more
to KDE. But, maybe it's by design.

--
Fabien