[Digikam-users] Digikam withoout KDE - questions

David Aldred david at familyaldred.org.uk
Tue Dec 5 22:41:28 GMT 2006

On Tuesday 05 December 2006 20:23, Caulier Gilles wrote:
> Le mardi 5 décembre 2006 21:20, cl at isbd.net a écrit :
> > I have ImagePlugin_Core in Imageplugins and 16 plugins (including KIPI
> > JPEG lossless plugin) in KIPI Plugins.  However I still can't rotate
> > pictures by right clicking on them, there's no Rotate option in the
> > menu that appears.
>
> This option have been removed for context menu to reduce entries. This is a
> query ask by digiKam users.

So how do those of us for whom this breaks Digikam badly (and potentially thus
breaks Linux, unless a sufficiently strong alternative to Digikam has emerged
since I was last looking) get it put back in?

And how many Digikam users asked for it to be removed, compared with those who
use it regularly and didn't know there was any intention to remove something
so vital to our use of the software?

At least half of the images I download from my camera need rotation.  Select
them all in the album view, right-click and 'rotate' and it's a quick job to
set up - for (say) 30 images that's 32 clicks.

Opening each in the image editor, right-click to rotate, then clicking to
confirm a save each time is going to take far too long.  It's 120 clicks for
that same 30 images (right-click menu, rotate, next image, confirm save) ,
and each one has to be loaded into the image editor before the rotation can
start.  Surely you can't mean to make Digikam so user-hostile.

Make it a configurable option if you like for people who only ever take
pictures in one orientation, but for the rest of us please leave it in.

--
David Aldred