[Digikam-users] Empty camera list after upgrading libgphoto2

Achim Bohnet ach at mpe.mpg.de
Mon Apr 24 23:44:58 BST 2006

On Sunday 23 April 2006 11:52, Stephan Paukner wrote:
> On Sat, 2006-04-22 at 23:49 +0200, Achim Bohnet wrote:
> > > But after upgrading to libgphoto2 (2.1.99) from Debian 'experimental',
> > > the list in Digikam is completely empty, while gphoto2 on the command
> > > line did detect my camera. How do I tell Digikam where to obtain the
> > > list of supported cameras? Do I have to install it from source?
> >
> > This sounds like a compatibility bug in libghoto2.  You can try to
> > rebuild digikam and check if this fixes the problem:
> >
> > 	su -
> > 	apt-get build-dep digikam
> > 	apt-get -b source digikam
> >
> > and install the new .deb.  When this fixes the problem, libgphoto2
> > broke the library API :(   File a serious bug against libgphoto2.
>
> I rebuilt digikam as recommended, and afterwards the list of cameras was
> visible in digikam!
> Still, autodetection failed, and I found out that only root could
> `gphoto2 --auto-detect` the camera, but not my regular user, as I forgot
> to add it to the 'camera' group. So, I'm not quite sure now if there is
> really a bug to file. Anyway, *if* the camera list in digikam should
> *always* be visible (and this was the case with libgphoto2-2.1.6,
> although my user was not member of the 'camera' group), *then* there is
> a bug to file. Your suggestion?

Mhmm,  can you reinstall digikam and check if cameras are listed
in digikam when the user is a member of group camera?

	apt-get --reinstall install digikam

I would say that if this works one should be able to life with it,
because without rw access to the camera device you can access it.
Then it does not really hurt when you can list the models too.

Achim

                                      -- reddy at lion.austin.ibm.com