[Digikam-users] digiKam hotplugging

Gerhard Kulzer gerhard at kulzer.net
Fri Sep 9 12:24:50 BST 2005

I think this mail is to Gilles, although I'm not sure who maintains the
digiKam hotplugging scripts.

After I got my new 350d I tried to debug the hotplugging script that doesn't
work since some time now. This is due to KDE 3.4 and also to Debian unstable
updates. Here is what I found:

I run KDE 3.4.2 and Debian unstable

/etc/hotplaug/usbcam:  su -l -c should be su - -c, the latest login version
doesn't accept the - l option anymore and goes nirvana.

USER=`ps -ef |grep "kdeinit..kdesktop" |grep -v grep |awk '{print $1}'` should
be inverted to
USER=`ps -ef |grep "kdesktop..kdeinit" |grep -v grep |awk '{print $1}'`

I also have a different locale setting in root and user. So every time digiKam
starts per hotplug it asks me if I want to accept the changed locale (because
the system() call doesn't seem to take over the user locale). With the
following addition in the /etc/hotplug/digikam-hotplug  script this annoyance
can be avoided:
system("DISPLAY=$display LANG=de_CH.UTF8 digikam --detect-camera 1>/dev/null
2>/dev/null&");

Of course the language should be adapted to the respective user locale, and
something like ENV=`locale|grep LC_ALL= |awk '{print $1}'` could do that job.

Best regards
Gerhard

P.S. this is rather for libgphoto2 : my camera bought in Switzerland has a
productID of 0x30ee and not 0x30ef as listed in usbcam.usermap. When I
changed this manually, the hotplug agent found the event again.