[Digikam-users] Recover lost tags and comments

Tom Albers tomalbers at kde.nl
Mon Jul 4 23:42:23 BST 2005

Op maandag 4 juli 2005 23:55, schreef Janis Hagelberg:
> On Monday 04 July 2005 21.35, Tom Albers wrote:
> > Op maandag 4 juli 2005 21:24, schreef Janis Hagelberg:
> > > Hi!
> > > I've lost all comments and tags because i renamed a folder containing
> > > pictures. This is not the first time it happens to me, and i wonder if
> > > there is any way to recover the tags. As for the comments, i still have
> > > them stored in the exif, but digikam doesn't "import" them into the
> > > digikam comments, is there something to do?
> > >
> > > I'm running digikam 0.7.2 (debian testing).
> >
> > In the original folder is a file called digikam.db. If you copy that
> > together with the images, it should work. The file is located in the
> > album path as you can find in the settings and should be placed in the
> > album path of the new location.
> >
> > Toma
>
> Well, actually i only renamed a subfolder, so the digikam.db was left
> untouched, but i only discovered my error when i opened digikam. I fear
> that by opening digikam, the digikam.db has been altered.

Yes, to save the tags you should rename the album within digiKam. If the album
does no longer exists, they will be deleted when you close digiKam iirc.

If you have the original database or a backup, you could rename back the
folder and launch with that db.

For version 0.8 I've made a warning on digiKams startup to inform you before
deleting.

Tom

--
http://www.kde.nl | irc: {toma}