[Digikam-users] Nikon NEF (RAW) images in Digikam

Nigel Gilbert norb at dscape.freeserve.co.uk
Wed Dec 7 17:28:11 GMT 2005

Hi all,

  It's quite possible I am doing something stupid but I want to use
Digikam to organise my Nikon D70 images and I have a couple of
questions.

  1) My camera is set to create two files (*.nef and *.jpg) for each
shot I take, these files have the same name (just a different extension)
and ideally I'd like to keep them together in an album. Also so it would
be nice if they could be renamed together etc.
     I'd be happy if only the jpeg from a JPEG and NEF pair appeared in
the album browser (as there would be two thumbnails which would look the
same otherwise), so long and the raw files are archived and grouped
together with the corresponding JPEG.

  2) I have tried just adding the NEF images into an album but this
doesn't quite work. I've installed the kipi plugins and looked at the
File (MIME) Types configuration to try and see why they don't show up in
the Add Image browser. I just don't understand what the purpose of the
"Raw Files" section is. Mine is set to:

	*.crw *.cr2 *.nef *.raf *.mrw *.orf *.pef *.x3f *.dcr *.kdc *.srf *.raw
*.dng

     But the files are only visible in "Add Images" if I add *.nef to
the "Image Files" section.

     Also, the date the photo was taken is incorrectly displayed and the
orientation is wrong. I presume it isn't possible to determine this
information from a RAW file.
     Are the RAW files getting converted into something else in order to
be kept in the album? (I'd like to avoid this if possible)
     Is there a better way of achieving what I'm trying to do?

  Any help setting me straight on these matters would be appreciated.

  Thanks in advance,
    -Nige

--
Nigel Gilbert <norb at dscape.freeserve.co.uk>