[Digikam-users] I have to be root !!!

Achim Bohnet ach at mpe.mpg.de
Tue Dec 6 15:24:40 GMT 2005

On Tuesday 06 December 2005 15:16, David BERCOT wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm new on this list and I hope that my question was not posted before...
> I'm on Debian Sid, with Gnome 2.10.
> I use digiKam 0.8.
>
> A few weeks (months ?) ago, everything was ok ! I put my user into camera and hotplug groups and digiKam was ok.
> Now (I think about udev/hotplug problem), even with this groups, I can't download photos from my camera (a Canon PowerShot A70).
> If I run digiKam under root, everything is ok !

this means that either the mount point (for USB mass storage) or the usb
debice used by libgphoto2 has wrong protection.

There nothing digikam can do about it.  Mhmm one thing:
In case system mounts the camera now somewhere else you may
have to correct the mount point.  Does root and the normal
user use the same path? If yes back to protection problem
mentioned above ;)

> Do you have any idea ?

AFAIR hotplug stuff was replaced by udev. See /etc/udev/
what get triggered when the camera is inserted.   Somewhere there
you have to fix group and access right.

searching for similar udev or libgphoto bugs at bugs.debian.org
may help you too.

Achim