Test data for video ?

Steven Robbins steve at sumost.ca
Mon Sep 12 19:32:24 BST 2022

Hello,

This is a developer topic, but I am cross-posting to -users mainly because
that's the only place I see very much non-automated email ... Please trim the
follow-up if I've surmised wrongly.

This email is to ask about including video files into the source tree to
support unit testing.  I have found a handful of image files -- usually in
core/tests/${app}/data.  I presume that the data is to support testing ${app}
only.

I haven't found any video files in the tree.  So question #1 would be: would
video data be accepted in support of a test?  At the moment, I'm looking at
example files from https://file-examples.com -- would those be OK?  Should I be
looking for shorter files?  Is there an upper bound on file size?

I had previously been asking about FFMPEG-5 support and even mentioned I would
work on it.  I have very limited time to work on hobby projects so you've not
seen much from me but  I haven't gone away completely.  :-)

I have decided to write unit tests against qtav because (a) I believe unit
tests are a good thing; and (b) I have debugged one of the interactive apps to
the point where it fails but I don't understand enough (yet) to work out where
the failure lies -- so I figured if I write unit tests that exercise deeper and
deeper layers of the code, I'd eventually write one that fails.  And start
fixing there.

Now for question #2: I would be looking to use the same sample data in
multiple tests, so  the core/tests/${app}/data strategy is not optimal.  Would
it be acceptable to put them in, say, core/tests/data ?  Do you have some
conventions or guidelines for data folder organization?

Thank you!
-Steve