digiKam 7.1.0 at Launchpad PPA

Rob Savoury savoury at savos.tech
Tue Sep 29 08:37:30 BST 2020

Hi digiKam developers!

This is a brief note about a Launchpad PPA that I maintain which has new builds of digiKam (currently 7.1.0) for Ubuntu-based systems. First major upload was digiKam 6.4.0 in late December 2019, so I've been keeping this PPA going for nine months now and counting. After looking around on the digiKam website for a while I couldn't find a better way to notify the digiKam team about this PPA than the devel email list, so that's why you're all getting this note! The PPA is here:

[https://launchpad.net/~savoury1/+archive/ubuntu/digikam](https://launchpad.net/%7Esavoury1/+archive/ubuntu/digikam)

On the digiKam download page under the Linux heading there is a link to an article (see under the table found at https://www.digikam.org/download/binary/#Linux) about a quite ancient version of digiKam (1.6!) for Ubuntu 10.10 found at a PPA that is a bit stale now. The most recent version of digiKam at that PPA is 5.6.0 (see [https://launchpad.net/~philip5/+archive/ubuntu/extra](https://launchpad.net/%7Ephilip5/+archive/ubuntu/extra)) so now three years dated.

Perhaps time to update the digiKam download page adding a new link to a new PPA for recent digiKam builds catering to Ubuntu-based systems? Or at least maybe after a couple of you (who handle the packaging area) have the chance to test out the Ubuntu builds I'm doing and make sure they are of a good enough quality such that a link on your site would be appropriate.

Thanks for the fantastic work with digiKam! It is my main photo management software (close to 100,000 shots in there now) for many years and I greatly appreciate all of your efforts with keeping the project going.

Cheers,
Rob Savoury