Ignored Faces

Kartik Ramesh kartikx2000 at gmail.com
Sun May 17 14:00:31 BST 2020

Thanks for clarifying, Gilles.
Yes, as Trung mentioned, the purpose of the red round button is not to
Ignore Faces. Trung, your observations are correct except for :

> Clicking on the "*-*" button turns an unconfirmed face to ignored face

 Ignored -> Unknown. As we are rejecting the face suggestion.

Currently the functionality of the buttons is as follows:
1. Red Round Button (top right) : delete Face from database, regardless of
what type of face it is. The red round button currently shows the tool-tip
"If this is not a face, click to reject it", maybe I could modify it to
emphasize that the face will be deleted.
2. (-) Button (bottom right) : move face to Unknown, except if face is
already Unknown. In that case, move it to Ignored. This button is disabled
for Ignored.
3. Green checkbox (bottom left) : Confirms the Face. For Unconfirmed Faces
(i.e. suggestions), this corresponds to marking as Confirmed. For Ignored
Faces, however, this leads to a marking of the face as Unknown. I preferred
this because it seemed intuitive, as if the user is saying "Ok, I'm
allowing this face to be detected now". I've displayed the tool-tip
accordingly.

Also another thing, earlier Maik had mentioned that the Ignored Face
shouldn't be storing the tag region in the database, as the user doesn't
care for the region anymore. I liked the idea at first, and implemented the
tagRegion for Ignored tag as a NULL string but I ran into two issues :
1. How to detect overlaps of Face Region between faces being recognized
(during a recognition process) and the faces marked as Ignored.
2. How to show the face in the Ignored View (when we selected Ignored tag
from People Sidebar), as the default implementation to depict faces without
a region is to show the entire image.

I could have worked around with a dummy placeholder (as Maik suggested),
but I thought to keep the implementation simple. Anyhow, in the current
implementation, the image is not being associated with the Ignored face,
i.e. if you mark a face as Ignored, and then open that image (in Digikam
album view), then the ignored face will not be displayed. So it works fine.

Kartik