No subject

Wed Apr 17 13:17:15 BST 2019

84K     04.png
96K     05.png
76K     06.png
128K    07.png
108K    08.png
104K    09.png
168K    10.png
1,1M    total

Tests have been performed using 10 different photos from my
collections. Image sizes are 256x256 (a real rectangle with image
data)
PNG files are generated with ImageMagick from bmp reference images.
There is _no_ metadata in PNG (pure image)
This point is important, because with my previous tests, i have use
PNG file generated from JPG with a lots of metadata. For small images,
this is not valid because metadata are large.

Files Generated are :

- JP2 (JPEG2000) in lossless
- PGF in lossless (quality=0)
- JPG with quality = 100 ("-q100" : not lossless but at least the best quallity)
- JPG with quality = 85 ("-q85" : the default value used everywhere
IM, gimp, photoshop, etc.)

JPG quality 85 is the best. Gain = 5
JPG quality 100, PGF and JP2 give the same size. Gain around 1.3.

Of course, we can use PGF and JP2 compression level not lossless. file
size will be decreased, but what will be the gain here against JPG in
this case ?