No subject

Wed Apr 17 13:17:15 BST 2019

- shared libs libkexiv2 : 4 hours. very easy...
- shared libs libkdcraw : 1 day maximum, not more.
- shared libs libkipi : 3-4 days.

- digiKam core : 2-3 weeks (without testing indeep).
- DigikamImagePlugins : 1-2 weeks (without testing indeep).

- kipi-plugins : 4-5 weeks depending of contributors avaibility.

Nota : unforget than all Makefile.am/configure.in need to be converted to
CMake. This is a tiedous job, especially to test all compilations
conditions. The time given before do not includes CMake port

But, like you can see, all features will be frozen a few month, not one yea=
(:=3D))))
Of course, like i said 'porting to QT4', i would mean porting as well
without add new features or improve implementation indeep. I think this is
mandatory to be able to compare QT3 and QT4 implementations

> > If this would really freeze feature additions for one year,
> > I would also like to add a few wishes before that ;-)
> > (OTOH, Gilles is so fast, so maybe the freeze would much shorter ;-0)
>
> As someone who can (probably) not contribute to this migration I still
> would like to inject my opinion. A 1 year feature freeze will put-off
> everyone, first you, the developers, and than our users. It's too long a
> stretch of time.
>
> We should ask for help (even if we might not get any,
> because everyone active is in the same busy boat), and cut it into pieces
> like that:
> - As Gilles proposed, convert the libraries first
> - then the digikam core
> - add features when deemed juicy to qt3 at any time, interrupting
migration
> - migrate the plugins one by one
> - migrate kipis, and there export at first (here we have other developers=
)

> I also think that experience and know-how with migration will grow rapidl=
> everywhere, in particular in amarok which has to deal with threading as
> much as we have to. With the result that it will not take 1 year. I
> definitely hope so.
>
> Gerhard

I agree with Gilles about to merge both digiKam and digikamImagePlugins in
one
and only package, there is no reason to have two separate projects now.

agree

About migration to QT4 I think Gerhard makes a good proposition, this could
be
a good start point to work on a time line to get it.

What's about some features like non-destructive edition, light table, and
so...?

see my response before. This can be implemented just later QT4 port.

Gilles

------=_Part_67694_26498873.1172768923979

px 0px 0.8ex; BORDER-LEFT: #ccc 1px solid">El Jueves, 1 de Marzo de 2007, G=
erhard Kulzer escribi=F3:<br>> Am Thursday 01 March 2007 schrieb Arnd Ba=
ecker:
...]<br>> ><br>> > > I guess that when you will start to por=
t digiKam to QT4, there will be<br>> > > a feature freeze for arou=
nd 1 year, the time to change the source code
iv>
akefile.am/configure.in</a> need to be converted to CMake. This is a tiedou=
s job, especially to test all compilations conditions. The time given befor=
e do not includes CMake port
year (:=3D))))</p>
as well without add new features or improve implementation indeep. I think =
this is mandatory to be able to compare QT3 and QT4 implementations</div>

br>> > I would also like to add a few wishes before that ;-)<br>> =
> (OTOH, Gilles is so fast, so maybe the freeze would much shorter ;-0)
tion I still<br>> would like to inject my opinion. A 1 year feature free=
ze will put-off<br>> everyone, first you, the developers, and than our u=
sers. It's too long a
e might not get any,<br>> because everyone active is in the same busy bo=
at), and cut it into pieces<br>> like that:<br>> - As Gilles proposed=
, convert the libraries first
o qt3 at any time, interrupting migration<br>> - migrate the plugins one=
 by one<br>> - migrate kipis, and there export at first (here we have ot=
her developers)
ill grow rapidly<br>> everywhere, in particular in amarok which has to d=
eal with threading as<br>> much as we have to. With the result that it w=
ill not take 1 year. I
lles about to merge both digiKam and digikamImagePlugins in one<br>and only=
 package, there is no reason to have two separate projects now.<br> </=
div>

his could be<br>a good start point to work on a time line to get it.<br><br=
>What's about some features like non-destructive edition, light table, =
and
r> </div>

------=_Part_67694_26498873.1172768923979--