Getting started with Digikam Development

Andrew Goodbody ajg02 at elfringham.co.uk
Wed Jun 27 23:02:14 BST 2018

On 27/06/18 01:59, Motsu Aboshi wrote:
> Hello:
>
> I am interested in working on Digikam. In particular, I would like to
> contribute effort in the short-term toward:
>
> - PostgreSQL support
> - GUI support for multiple network share IDs
> - Potentially other misc. improvements that benefit Linux <-> Windows
> library sharing

That's really good to hear. These are areas that would really benefit
from some attention. I know that others will appreciate your work as well.

> I am attempting to get set up to compile the Digikam master branch on a
> recent Ubuntu installation ,but am running into various dependency
> related issues (after apt-get build-dep digikam, manual dependency
> downloads/installation are needed - for example, the newer version of
> exiv2, which is only available in the debian experimental repository).
> I was starting to go through the dependency list and manually install
> everything, but at this point I'm a bit concerned that I'll end up with
> a build environment that conflicts with the current working environments
> of the active maintainers.

You need to set up your build environment to work with the latest
source. You should not attempt to make an environment that is
compromised by wanting it to work for both. If you want to be able to
run distro shipped version then maybe just load up a clean install in a VM?

> Would it be possible for an existing contributor to suggest on the ideal
> environment to build the current master branch? Is doing a fresh
> installation of everything from the DEPENDENCIES list on a non-Ubuntu
> distribution the best way to make sure my environment is consistent? The
> Linux installation I'm using is to be dedicated to Digikam, so whichever
> setup is ideal is fine.

I build in Debian testing plus additions from experimental and also
built from source. I can't say it is ideal for you, just that it works
for me, but that is because it is the distro I choose to run. If you can
make it work in the distro you know best, then go for it!

Andrew