[Digikam-devel] Digikam and Breeze

kainz.a kainz.a at gmail.com
Tue Sep 1 10:06:08 BST 2015

Hi,

I'm one of the VDG Members how is response to the Breeze Icon set.

As some other KDE4 apps (Krusader, Amarok, ...) Digikam use app specific
icons located in /usr/share/kde4/apps/digikam/icons/hicolor instead of
Icons of the Standard icon set (/usr/share/icons/... ). So the icon set is
hardcoded.

This is no problem cause KDE SC 4 only support ONE icon set (Oxygen) now
Plasma 5 support Breeze and Breeze Dark. So app developers have the problem
that they have to support two (or three) icon sets. To reduce additional
work in the source code and to make it easier for the user the VDG would
recommand to add the app specific icons into the main icon set which is
located in /usr/share/icons/ You can also read my blog post entry
https://kdeonlinux.wordpress.com/2015/08/07/breeze-icons-in-plasma-5-4-and-future-work/

So my offer is that the VDG will response to all app specific icons and you
have to change in an cmake file that first the icons from /urs/share/icons
were used AND when there are no icon with the right name exists the icons
from the source code (/urs/share/kde4/apps/dikgikam/icons/hicolor/) will be
used.

I also make an first draft of the app specific digikam icons see
https://github.com/NitruxSA/breeze-icon-theme/pull/269 some icons are still
missing but they will come. feel free to commit what you don't like.

With the commited solution Digikam will support Breeze, Breeze Dark AND
Oxygen cause the Oxygen icons are in /usr/share/kde4/apps/digikam/ with an
change in one cmake file.

I don't want to say. I'm finished please change it as I want. I make the
icons (without your agreement) cause I wan't to show you how it could work
and we can discuss everything at Randa.

See you at Randa
Andreas Kainz