[Digikam-devel] KPhotoAlbum is using libkface now

Gilles Caulier caulier.gilles at gmail.com
Wed Sep 17 13:05:59 BST 2014

>> 1/ move libkface into kdegraphics/libs, as libkipi, libkexiv2, and
>> libkdcraw. Release is done with KDE. This can be a good way since code
>> is in a better stage now.
> I think this would be the nicest solution!
>
>> 2/ do as digiKam : include libkface as 3rdparty lib to kphotoalbum.
>> Not the best but this simplify release plan. Look how it's done in
>> digiKam. We have a super repository with scripts that we run to check
>> 3rd party code at release time. It's done automatically.
> I'll have to ask the "big" KPA developers if this would be possible to do. But
> your first solution sounds a lot better to me.
>
> I just thought of the Gentoo way. We have a single libkface ebuild, which
> takes the Digikam sources and only builds and installs libkface. Digikam
> itself also depends on this ebuild, so if you install it, Digikam will be
> built without libkface (after building libkface itself, of course).
>
> So what I have been thinking of, of course for Gentoo, is a USE-Flag telling
> if we want or don't want libkface support (the implementation in KPA is
> optional). So if you want it, KPA simply pulls libkface and when it's there,
> the face detection/recognition functionality will be built.
>
> I don't know if this would work analogously for other distributions.
>
> But what would happen if we packaged libkface, if you install both Digikam and
> KPA? Wouldn't we get collisions?

Right. So point 2/ is a bad way, excepted if packager will solve the puzzle...

> I really think a separate release for libkface would be the way better
> solution ... especially, if it could be done automatically, as you write above
> (sorry, I'm a very new KDE dev, so I don't know how this all works yet ;-)

I vote for point 1/

This want mean to ask to kdegraphics mailing list if admin are agree
to plug this library as official kde sub-lib. The move can be operated
also by kdegraphics team _at_ the right time (i want mean when it's
the good moment accordingly with KDE release plan)

Can you manage a future kdegraphics discussion about this topic ?