[Digikam-devel] KPhotoAlbum is using libkface now

Gilles Caulier caulier.gilles at gmail.com
Wed Sep 17 12:37:49 BST 2014

>> I hope to continue to improve libkface in the future to share the
>> experience between both project.
> I hope so :-)
>
>> Please read my mail of few day ago about the reunion in Berlin. You is
>> welcome to register you to the event.
> I'll have to check if can can come ... can't tell yet ...

It's important to have the information soon, because i must book an
hotel and the place where people will work for 3 days.

> But apart from this:
>
> Have you ever thought about creating an own libkface package/release? (As a
> libkface git repository does already exist)
>
> Seems like not all distributors create own packages for libkface (Gentoo e. g.
> does, Debian e. g. does not). Sure, one can simply install the whole Digikam
> package, but I think, as a library, an own package for libkface would be nice,
> particularly as libkface does not depend on Digikam.
>
> What do you think?

Currently, libkface is in extragear. I don't want to manage a release
lib. It's too much of work.

Solution :

1/ move libkface into kdegraphics/libs, as libkipi, libkexiv2, and
libkdcraw. Release is done with KDE. This can be a good way since code
is in a better stage now.

2/ do as digiKam : include libkface as 3rdparty lib to kphotoalbum.
Not the best but this simplify release plan. Look how it's done in
digiKam. We have a super repository with scripts that we run to check
3rd party code at release time. It's done automatically.

I recommend to look on solution 2/ first and we can plan 1/ when we
can judge that code is ready to be more public as libkipi, libkdcraw,
or libkexiv2. This is an important topic to talk at Berlin in
November.