[Digikam-devel] libkface database maintenance

Martin Klapetek martin.klapetek at gmail.com
Thu Jul 3 22:22:43 BST 2014

On Wed, Jul 2, 2014 at 10:03 PM, Marcel Wiesweg <marcel.wiesweg at gmx.de>
wrote:

> > Actually, we have void TrainingDB::deleteIdentity(int id) in
> > database/trainingdb.cpp, but it's never used anywhere ... so perhaps, the
> > class simply lacks this functionality at the moment.
> >
> > I'll see if I can add a function using this to recognitiondatabase.cpp
>
> Yes it has never been implemented in the API.
>
> We should add some notes of caution that the database is shared between
> applications and identity management should be aware of this.
>
> In the age of Nepomuk, there were plans to have some KDE-wide library to
> provide management of real people (linked with email, contacts, facebook
> etc.)
> I dont know but assume it died together with Nepomuk.

Not at all, that library is alive and kicking! ^_- It's called KPeople
(kde:libkpeople) and currently it's being used as a backend for KDE
Telepathy and there's an ongoing GSoC to create a full featured address
book based on it.

Currently it's plugin based and as a storage backend for the links it uses
custom SQLite database with the idea being that each application is doing
its own storage and just provides its data via that plugin.

At this point we have plugins for KTp (instant messaging) and Akonadi (any
contacts stored in Akonadi). Should the face tagging/recognition be
interfaced with address book, KPeople can sure be used, but it uses parts
of KDEPIM-Libs and would add such dependency on digiKam.

Let me know if there's an interest in doing that --> CC me directly, I'm
not following all of digiKam's mails ;)

Cheers
--
Martin Klapetek | KDE Developer