[Digikam-devel] Batch Queue Manager

Gilles Caulier caulier.gilles at gmail.com
Thu Oct 31 16:06:00 GMT 2013

2013/10/30 Yuri Samoilenko <kinnalru at gmail.com>:
> Good evening.
>
> I doing some experiments with very-draft implementation of "External Tools"
> in BQM and I have reach a little ambiguity.
>
> 1. As I see it is not possible to run BQM renaming without applying any
> effect.  I.e. "Just rename a couple of photo". RIght?

yes. you need to assign at least one tool in queue.

If you want only to perform files renaming this option already exist
outside BQM...

> 2. "Rename" action realized and binded to menu/hotkey in manual way(by
> creation KAction and specific slot in DigikamImageView, which is the main
> central widget in digikam). Right?

This widget is the same everywhere. In fact all advanced renaming
operation implementation are shared. Look into utilities/advancerename
for details.

> 3. As Gilles Caulier said:
>  "Definitively, BQM is the future for batch processing, not KIPI. The only
> interest of KIPI currently is web export tools that doesn't exists in BQM."
>
>  - Does KSnapshot or Gwenview are using(will use) BQM?

no. and we (digiKam team) don't care about others applications, due to
uninterested these teams about kipi-plugins project (nobody contribute
to kipi-plugins excepted digiKam developers)

Typically, kipi-plugins batch tools are always present in others
application. Plugins loading will be just disabled in digiKam

>  - Does BQM is planing to be exported out of Digikam and reused by other
> apps?

No. It's a pure digiKam core implementation. It's already difficult to
stabilize it. We don't need to export it to increase again the
complexity. We have already spare a lots of time with
libkipi/kipi-plugins without any gain (as more developers from other
kipi host applications help us to improve it). Don't forget that all
libkipi/kipi-plugins come from digiKam core originally... I know well,
i do it in first years of the project.

>  - Why 'future' is not in extending KIPI with batch parallel processing
> feature and integrate it in other image-related apps?

It's already done for some tools, as DNGConverter, RAWConverter,
Panorama, expoblending, sendimages... but not all tools are patched.
It's take time and it's complex to debug. If i found good students to
do it, well why not, but no more.