[Digikam-devel] External tools

Yuri Samoilenko kinnalru at gmail.com
Fri Oct 25 20:30:04 BST 2013

Hello

I want to implement "External tools" feature(as in kate was), and I already
take look at digikam software compillation sources.
Feature must allow to use custom script(external) to operate with image
files. For examplt to create solid archive file with currently selected
images.
As see it is a 3 ways to implement such feature:
1. as batch tool
advantages:
 - easy to implement(simple BatchTool API - inherit BatchTool class and
implement toolOperation as for example croptool does)
 - settings and settingswidget factory out of the box
disadvatages:
 - is it possible to embed batch tool to context menu (right mouse click)?

2. as kipi plugin
advantages:
 - settings and settingswidget factory out of the box
 - context menu integration out of the box
disadvatages:
 - little more complex kipi plugins API
 - breaking semantics(as I think) of "image manipulation"... is for example
'creating archive' appear to be 'image manipulation'?

3. directrly embed to context menu like "open with" and other actions
advantages:
 - i don't know
disadvatages:
 - i don't know how to implement