[Digikam-devel] Batch Queue Manager

Gilles Caulier caulier.gilles at gmail.com
Sat Nov 16 13:35:20 GMT 2013

Yuri,

I tested your code in your dedicated branch, and some point need to be changed :

1/ In "Target" settings view, you have inserted the option "Use
external tools". It's not the right place. This option must go in
"External Tools" settings view, on the top. Activating this option
must enable all settings in this view, else these settings must be
disabled.

2/ "External Tools" settings view is not the right name. Action
performed by this view will be processed at end of queue. So for me
the term is not enough explicit for end users. I'm sure that nobody
will understand as well the purpose of this view. This is why it must
be renamed, and some tips must be written in a label in this view to
explain what's end users can do with it.

3/ "External View" will be used to call a program when all items for
the queue are completed. The program, can be a binary or a script. In
this view you force to use a script, by default as bash. And what's
about Windows where Batch shell script are used. In other words, you
need to write a GUI more universal where these information must be
show :

- the path to the Program
- the name of the Program
- the description of the Program
- the arguments to pass to the Program.

Here we don't care about the type of shell used, in case of a script.
We don't care about the script content. Where you can show a script
content, you cannot do it for a binary. Instead, propose to end users
to be able to edit script with default editor set in KDE. This is not
the goal to digiKam to host script source code. Because, if i'm not to
wrong, scripts will be hosted as external file in home directory.
Right ?

4/ In your GUI, i recommend to propose a list of Programs available
and ready to use. User will assign one Program to the queue, and that
all. The list can be stored in workflow XML file. Look how i do with
workflow list view (workflow name + description are displayed)...

Let's me hear if all my explanations are enough clear for you

Best

Gilles Caulier