[Digikam-devel] libjpeg 8 requirement considered harmful

Francesco Riosa francesco at pnpitalia.it
Mon Jan 21 10:29:18 GMT 2013

Il 18/01/2013 18:52, Kevin Kofler ha scritto:
[snip]
> * IJG libjpeg, on the other hand, started making API and ABI changes to their
> code to support some new features. While libjpeg-turbo has some support for
> the IJG lijpeg 8 ABI, libjpeg-turbo's upstream considers the additions and
> changes unnecessary and useless (mainly because JPEG files using the new
> features cannot be read with older libjpeg implementations!), will not
> guarantee that any added functionality actually works (only ABI compatibility)
> and strongly recommends against enabling the new ABI:
> http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_id=30352465
[snip]

Having some experience on packaging I do simpatize with Kevin arguments,
but that's not the point of this email, instead there is one thing that
really scare me:

"JPEG files using the new features cannot be read with older libjpeg
implementations"

There is a possibility that application using the new IJG lijpeg 8 ABI
suddently start writing jpegs which can only be read from newer versions
of softwares (on linux/win/osx)?

If there is a chance that by design or by bug this is the case new
version should be banned.

Regards,
Francesco