[Digikam-devel] GSOC 2013 Proposal

Siddharth siddharthkherada27 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 12 10:17:01 BST 2013

Hi,

I am currently pursuing MS by Research in the field of computer vision and
image processing at IIIT- Hyderabad, India. I am interested in working for
KDE/Digikam this summer in a GSoC project.

Some of my own ideas:

a) *Interactive Poisson Image Editing*

Image editing tasks concern either global changes (color/intensity
corrections, filters, deformations) or local changes concerned to a
selection. Here we are interested in achieving local changes, ones that are
restricted to a region manually selected (ROI), in a seamless and
effortless manner. The extent of the changes ranges from slight distortions
to complete replacement by novel content. Examples:Inserting objects, Color
Transfer, Feature Exchange, Texture Flattening, Local illumination changes,
etc.

http://cs.engr.uky.edu/~jacobs/classes/2010_photo/readings/PoissonImageEditing.pdf

b) *Color2Gray*

Visually important image features often disappear when color images are
converted to grayscale. This algorithm reduces such losses by attempting to
preserve the salient features of the color image. The Color2Gray results
offer viewers salient information missing from previous grayscale image
creation methods.

http://www.cse.cuhk.edu.hk/~leojia/papers/decolorization_iccp12.pdf

c) *Domain Transform for Edge-Aware Image Processing
(Non-Photorealistic Animation and Rendering)*

The processing involves high-quality edge-preserving filtering of images
(better than bilateral filter). The filter is applied on several image
processing tasks including edge-preserving smoothing, Depth-of-field
effects, stylization, detail enhancement, edge enhancement and gray/color
pencil sketch.

http://www.inf.ufrgs.br/~eslgastal/DomainTransform/Gastal_Oliveira_SIGGRAPH2011_Domain_Transform.pdf

What are your views about this?

Best Regards,
Siddharth

--
Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever -
M K Gandhi