[Digikam-devel] All kipi-plugins are gone ...

Matthias Welwarsky matthias at welwarsky.de
Sat Mar 17 21:16:18 GMT 2012

OK, pretty simple:

It's the patches merged by Ananta Palani, in particular this one:

commit 8453c8f2def5e917d731aa636eced77e79d4a4a2
Author: Supreet Pal Singh <supreetpal at gmail.com>
Date:   Sat Mar 17 01:32:07 2012 +0530

    Removed the code from setup

It removes the loadPlugins() call from the Constructor of KipiPluginLoader
class

Ananta, can you _please_ check what you are pushing into master? And please,
do not do merge commits. It's very annoying and difficult to eliminate single
patches out of a merge, or even to remove the merge patch entirely.

See man git-merge:

       -m parent-number, --mainline parent-number
           Usually you cannot revert a merge because you do not know which
side of the merge should be considered the
           mainline. This option specifies the parent number (starting from 1)
of the mainline and allows revert to reverse
           the change relative to the specified parent.

           Reverting a merge commit declares that you will never want the tree
changes brought in by the merge. As a result,
           later merges will only bring in tree changes introduced by commits
that are not ancestors of the previously
           reverted merge. This may or may not be what you want.

           See the revert-a-faulty-merge How-To[1] for more details.

This is the How-To mentioned, and if your head is spinning after reading it,
you know why merge commits should not happen if you just want to push changes
into the master branch:

http://code.google.com/p/git-core/source/browse/Documentation/howto/revert-a-
faulty-merge.txt

In my opinion, there is almost never a need for merge commits. Even after you
merged from some other branch, you should still rebase onto the head of the
remote master branch before you commit.