[Digikam-devel] 2.6.0 seems to open files without closing them

Sulev-Madis Silber madis555 at hot.ee
Mon Jan 23 13:57:59 GMT 2012

Again, under FreeBSD (8.2).

I have 1.9.0 and 2.6.0.

1.9.0 doesn't open much files, I've checked. It doesn't leave image
files open after using files.

However, 2.6.0 seems to open all files in collection. It ran info limits
because it means having ~50000 file descriptors open in system (usually
~3000). I have no problem increasing it but it seems bit weird.

I want to make things clear that it isn't my system affecting it. The
devel Digikam runs under different user that has no other components
running, and uses my user's X server to display picture. I don't use KDE
under my own user either, just Xfce.
I know that KDE 4 is one huge and weird thing with all the libraries and
separate components for file watching and what else... Heck, it's
Windows-emulating DE, with it's good's and bad's :)

I currently compile dev with "CMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=debugfull
DIGIKAMSC_USE_PRIVATE_KDEGRAPHICS=1".

Don't know if it's Digikam or me.

What is definitely Digikam is that it likes to open all files in
collection on startup. Which is bit bad if files are in network. I have
turned off new file scanning on startup but that doesn't help. It still
takes a lot of time to do such operations, even locally. Enough to say
"Come up already, those files are readonly anyway, no point to open and
stat.".

Does it make sense to change some of that behavior? Just like file
rotation is changed and now I can open my read-only files. Or, as
previously in IRC (does anyone ever use that (now)?!) asked that I
should not expect to use RO images with Digikam... Real case is myself
opening GF's image archive, created with Digikam too. You surely want to
open someone else's files for reading only...
Although we discussed with her about ability to share image
modifications. To make Digikam ultimate local+distributed image manager.
I like localness and offline-ability.

Also, seems like Digikam doesn't really like all the magic I do with
images here. Specifically it loses track what file had which tags, etc.
Only seemed to happen with 2.6.0. But I don't think I actually removed
collection in 1.9.0... Just moved files around. Tags seemed to stick. I
also had brief look into SQL table structure and content and I think I
know why tags get lost...
Anyway I might need to make separate feature request for those things or
even might see what I can implement myself, besides patching it to
compile in my system.

Did the message get too long now...? For nothing?! :/ Sorry for bothering...