[Digikam-devel] status of splitted configs for images and thumbnails databases

Francesco Riosa francesco at pnpitalia.it
Tue Sep 20 13:35:21 BST 2011

On 09/20/11 13:23, Gilles Caulier wrote:
> 2011/9/20 Francesco Riosa<francesco at pnpitalia.it>:
>>     ... it's not good for release
>> I was programming to be able to fix the issues in the month release cycle
>> but had overestimated my free time and problems involved.
>> The mentioned issues are:
>> 1) the user interface is suboptimal see attached screenshots, it should at
>> least provide a button to copy the options from one db config to the other.
>> Better the widget should open with only one database config visible (if
>> database are currently the same) and go to a double set of options only on
>> user request.
>> 2) Removal of mysql "internal database" option, this one has been completely
>> untested by me, I've strong feeling nobody is using it (even under windows).
>> But we need a large survey on our users, because I do want to remove the
>> functionality /without/ migration plan. That's clearly not possible if we
>> have at least one user of internal database.
>> Rationale for removal is:
>> - the mysql forks are increasing, there is a real possibility that distro
>> will start using these forks, while most provide at least some compatibility
>> as client (for us it's abstracted by qtSql) no-one of the executable tools
>> will be guaranteed to be there and named the same.
>> - It's wrong, wrong, wrong, sqlite is an embedded database, has some
>> limitations and inconsistencies (see problems on btrfs) but it's born to be
>> embedded and does it well (it's the de facto standard). Mysql is a
>> system/global database - period -
>> 3) there are isolation problems at connection level, some query intended to
>> run on thumbnails database are executed on the images one. While this should
>> be easy to fix make me think there are more issues waiting to be discovered.
>> Those require an in deep look which should be done relaxed and not under
>> release pressure.
>> https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=281838
>> so it's ok if I do revert the few commits that are related to splitted
>> config and continue my work in sql/2.0 branch until it's more palatable?
> yes, fine for me.
> Note that 2.2.0 release is planed at first week of october. the goal
> is to provide a release each month with code stabilization and of
> course new features (not too big to be testable (:=)))
> Gilles Caulier

done, last commit

all commits:

More information about the Digikam-devel mailing list