[Digikam-devel] separate branch for releases

Veaceslav Munteanu slavuttici at gmail.com
Tue Sep 20 08:47:23 BST 2011

On Mon, Sep 19, 2011 at 8:13 PM, Marcel Wiesweg <marcel.wiesweg at gmx.de>wrote:

> Suggestions like these are fully justified in larger projects. If you look
> at
> the commit log of digikam, you'll see Gilles, me, and Francesco doing the
> majority of commits. Who is going to backport bug fixes? Who is going to
> maintain the branch? Who is going to test it?
> There is another point: A commit freeze forces developers to do bug fixing.
> Feature development is fun, bug fixing is tedious. So we need to force
> ourselves to do it.
> Third, with git, it is possible to have either local commits or even local
> or
> remote feature branches if a larger patch is to be developed.7

I've got your point and i know who is workings the most :)
someone told me about digikam and i hope that i will tell it to another
students, but i can't go faster.
Also i'm sitting on bleeding-edge kde and it's crashing regularly so i can
tell it's too far from gnome, but it has tons of features.
>From this point of view, in future i want to do more bugfixing(so it's not
tedious for me), but i lack experience.
Commiting can be done in both branches to avoid backporting them. Extra
seconds for someone(to write an extra git command) can save someone from
lots of work.

Also having few things settled ok from very beginning can make the project
grow faster.

--
Veaceslav