[Digikam-devel] 2 Issues with DigiKam

Sven Lautemann lautemann at googlemail.com
Thu Mar 17 07:46:04 GMT 2011

Hello!

I tried to use digiKam v1.2.0 on Debian Linux and came across two
issues/questions:

1) When I convert a Canon RAW file (from a PowerShot G5) to DNG format,
I get rather different colours (at least for the embedded preview
image). I experimented with several options and tried to correct the
white balance but did not find out how to get to natural colours.

2) I had assigned tags to some Canon RAW files. Looking at the exiftool
output it seems Canon RAW files cannot store the tags in contrast to
DNG. (This is one of the reasons I want to convert all my RAW files to
DNG.) The digiKam database contains the tags I had associated to the RAW
files. However, when I convert the Canon RAW files to DNG or even to
jpeg, the tags are not taken out of digiKams database and assigned to
the DNG or jpeg files; the resulting files simply do not have tags at
all after the conversion (I can add them later on manually again). So
I'm afraid I have to assign the tags that I already assigned to the RAW
files again manually to the DNG files, which would be rather time consuming.

Maybe I did a mistake or simply got something wrong, but maybe I really
found two aspects where digiKam, namely the RAW converter tool could be
improved?

Thanks a lot for your help and for the great tool!

Sven Lautemann