[Digikam-devel] Re: Setting up development environment with Eclipse and parallel stable version of Digikam

Mikkel Bækhøj Christensen mikkel at baekhoej.dk
Tue Mar 15 22:14:52 GMT 2011

> Digikam is now on Git. Eclipse will certainly have decent support for git.
> Currently the development/2.0 branch is "unstable" and master is "stable" but
> expect that to change in the next few days - then 2.0 will be merged to
> master.
>
> As to installing two versions in parallel, I have never done that, will never
> do that, some people may have succeeded though.

Thank you very much to all of you for your replies. However, I still
insist on setting it up my way :)

I think I have made it all work (see more below) but first my replies to
your comments:

I use Eclipse every day professionally for C++, Java, and Python
development, so even if KDevelop is superior, it is a disadvantage for
me to have to work in a different environment.

My previous experience with using trunk for everyday work is also that
it *almost* always works without issues. However, those very few times
that it didn't always came at very inconvenient moments. I want to avoid
that.

Apparently the EGit plugin is now more popular than JGit. I still
haven't grasped the Git concepts completely enough to evaluate whether
it is mature or not. If not, it seems to be actively developed, so there
is hope ahead.

And now to my solution. Because I have spent a lot of time searching for
a how-to on how to do this, I thought I better write one. I have
published it on my website here:

http://www.baekhoej.dk/node/195

If you are interested, please check it out. And if you spot any mistakes
or oversights, I would be grateful for comments.

Best regards,
Mikkel