[Digikam-devel] Re: libkmap in kdereview

Marcel Wiesweg marcel.wiesweg at gmx.de
Sun Mar 6 19:51:36 GMT 2011

> I'd agree with a rename, but I'm also slightly concerned the libkgeomap
> name suggests it is _the_ KDE solution for geomaps and other modules will
> start using it that way and we will have a de-facto solution without any
> thought being put into it.  If it's ever intended to be used outside
> kdegraphics or even eventually moved to kdelibs then a stricter review
> will be needed, and we'd need to think about how it compares to using
> QtMobility/QLocation.

We need to wait for Michael's comments here how generic libkmap has become,
but initially it has been a solution to the problem of having a map from
different backends and items (photos) grouped on the map, with all usual
associated features.

Due to the deeper dependency on marble, which is in kdeedu, a move to
kdegraphics/libs was already vetoed, because kdegraphics cannot depend on
kdeedu. I think the current plan is to keep it in extragear (needs to go
through kdereview as well to be in extragear)

Marcel