[Digikam-devel] Setting up development environment with Eclipse and parallel stable version of Digikam

Mikkel Bækhøj Christensen mikkel at baekhoej.dk
Wed Mar 2 20:44:16 GMT 2011

Hi developers!

I want to get started contributing code to Digikam again. However, my
previous development setup is now broken for several reasons. In order
to do things right, I would like to know if someone knows a recipe for
setting up an environment that fulfills these requirements:

1. I want to edit code and debug in Eclipse

2. I want to have a usable parallel installation of a stable version of
Digikam. Very often, trunk is not in a reliable state, so I need a
stable version to do my actual image handling in.

I am using Ubuntu 10.04 (Gnome desktop) if that matters.

I hope someone out there can help me. Maybe we can help each other
produce a detailed how-to that can go on the wiki. There used to be an
Eclipse page on the wiki, but I can't find it any more. There is also a
page on installing an unstable digikam next to a stable one, but it is
not completely clear to me how that would apply to development.

Here it is: http://www.digikam.org/drupal/download/SvnAlongStable

I think that the lack of detailed instructions on how to set up the
development tools may be holding some people back from contributing.

Best regards,
Mikkel