[Digikam-devel] Re: DigiKam compliation instructions

Angelo Naselli anaselli at linux.it
Wed Jan 26 17:35:51 GMT 2011

> > Well the right way should be to ask for it to your distro digikam/kipi-plugins
> > maintainer.
> > Most distros backport or update these packages.
> >

> The Ubuntu maintainers aren't known for their ability (or willingness?!)
> to update packages. For example, the current version of DigiKam within
> the Ubuntu repositories is 1.4! Therefore, unless we wish to use an
> ancient version, we're forced to compile our own.
I said what should be the best way to, i can't say what Ubuntu does.
I'm digikam packager and maintainer in Mandriva, and becoming in Mageia.
As far as i can, i provide backports and updates, and Nicolas L. do
that when i'm not able to for any reasons.

> > I see the problem in building source though...
>
> No kidding!
I do not, really!

Ok, I'm a developer, and yes I'm also a packager, but that does not
mean i don't see that. If you look at old mails as far as i could
i've always answered (also in private) with mini-howto to help
people in building kipi & co. digikam and gwenview.
I've also often fighted against depending on kde trunk but i was
alone, and i think it's not always possible to be compatible with
most user distros. Kde 4 has changed a lot since Kde 3 and certainly
all distros are not using the same version, not to say patches added...
No easy indeed.
I used to build gwenview in my distro, and to release it on gv site,
but who could use it? only those one who had the same configuration
i had and. So i am, again, strongly sure the best way is the official
distro maintainer.

Sorry i can't say more. I don't use Ubuntu, I don't like it and i cannot
help you for that, if i had it and i was able to build on it i would have
provided you a package, this is simple me.

Cheers,
	Angelo