[Digikam-devel] Re: (no subject)

Gilles Caulier caulier.gilles at gmail.com
Mon Jan 17 08:32:37 GMT 2011

Hi.

Thanks to help digiKam project.

2011/1/16 Wojciech Migda <wojtek.golf at interia.pl>

> Hello,
>
> I'd be interested in helping with SSE optimization of digikam filters,
> however, I cannot seem to find hints on your policies regarding such
> development,

about implementation, all are here :

http://websvn.kde.org/trunk/extragear/graphics/digikam/HACKING?view=markup

that is whether you'd like such code have compiled
> conditionally, or executed based on dynamic cpu detection, etc.

As digiKam has an in-deep KDE dependency and as KDE has already code for it
through Solid interface, i recommend to use it as well. No need to re-invent
the wheel :

http://api.kde.org/4.x-api/kdelibs-apidocs/solid/html/index.html

> If you
> have already worked on such policies/requirements then they would be
> of great value for me.

There is also parallelization of code to improve speed. OpenMP must be used
for that...

http://openmp.org/wp/

Don't forget that digikam compile under mac and Windows. All port must work
under this OS of course, or at least disabled (for ex, Openmp support for
Raw decoding is disabled unde Mac due to a problem of thread interface with
Openmp - macosx issue)

There are also few possible works to do on SSE support into libraw to decode
RAW files, which take a while. For that, I CC Alex Tutubalin who maintain
libraw (http://www.libraw.org)

Best

Gilles Caulier