[Digikam-devel] Re: Needing ideas for Rosedu's Open Source Development Course

Gilles Caulier caulier.gilles at gmail.com
Tue Jan 4 07:54:48 GMT 2011

Hi Gabriel,

In general, for junior jobs, i recommend to take a look into components
outside digiKam core. Why ?  because it can have side-effect with the whole
program to touch in this area.

It must be better to take a look in plugins.

You have 2 way :

1/ plug-ins for image editor.
2/ plug-ins for album gui (kipi-plugins).

Now how to select job ? Use bugzilla and look Wishes files by preference
order. Bugs can be more complex to fix and can take a while.

In all case, use bugzilla for each entry found and post messages and patches
by this way. This is the best QA work-flow.

I don't recommend to use kde review tool. It's not link to bugzilla, and
it's complex to follow in time.

Do not use devel mailing list directly. Use bugzilla instead. All post from
bugzilla are posted in this mailing list.

For new idea, i recommend also to use bugzilla, and create new entries with
attached patches.

Like you can see, the main tool is bugzilla.

Another idea is to review all entries with patch attached. All these entries
have "[patch]" annotation in the title. It's easy to find these entries with
bugzilla search engine.

Now the ultimate question which code to patch ?

- If patch is not too intrusive, 1.x from trunk can be patch, and later code
backported to GoSC 2010 branch.
- If patch is intrusive, it's will be better to use GoSC2010 branch.

Don't forget that trunk is stable used in production, and we trying to
stabilize this code now. We plan 1.8 and probably 1.9 release including
minors changes.

I hope these tips will help you in this task...

Best

Gilles Caulier