[Digikam-devel] Re: Needing ideas for Rosedu's Open Source Development Course

Gabriel Voicu ping.gabi at gmail.com
Thu Feb 24 10:22:19 GMT 2011

Hello everyone,

The course began this saturday. there are 15 students, 2 of them working on
the Digikam project. Initially, 5 of them wanted to work on Digikam, but
because I don't have time, we ended up in having just two. :-( The course
will be finished around 17th of April.

Now, I will list the ideas and please let me know if you are OK with us
implementing them in this period (February 26 - April 17).

1) GUI refactoring:

Each student will have to refactor a GUI. These should be an easy task to
help them get used to digikam/kipi code/coding style. Each one of the 2
students will refactor a GUI. I've chosen these 2 widgets to modify, but if
you have something else in mind, please let me know:

1.1) "Merge MetadaEdit EXIF/IPTC/XMP dialogs to one dialog with tabs.

The goal is to reduce MetadataEdit menu enties in kipi host application.
Currently, we can edit Exif or Iptc, or Xmp using dedicated dialog. it's too
long if users want to modify Exif and Xmp values for ex. it need to
open/close 2 dialogs"

1.2)  Refactor DNG converter.

If I understood well, the task here is to use KipiPlugins::ImagesList
instead of it's ImageList. Am I right?

2) Implement face tags with regions to files:

"We also still don't have any code that saves people tags with regions to
files. We discussed some possible options about using RDF etc. So here
one could write code that takes a face tag with region coordinates, and
writes it into XMP via libkexiv2, and can also produce a face tag from
the XMP. Here, one would need to know the representation of face tags
inside digikam, and then spend some time getting save/load code to work
using test based development, without touching any digikam code. Once
the code is done, either the students or a digikam developer would
integrate it into the image metadata load/save routines of digikam."

In big lines, these are the tasks. If we finish earlier than February 17, we
will start and fixing some bugs. After we finish each task, we will send a
patch to merge it with the current code.

Also, these days I will take all the remaining ideas and put it here:
http://techbase.kde.org/Contribute/Junior_Jobs.

Have a nice day,
Gabriel