[Digikam-devel] Re: how to use git as subversion

kunal ghosh kunal.t2 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 7 16:08:48 GMT 2011

Hi all,

In the past few posts i saw the use of "git"
eg, $git remote -v show

Right now, digikam core , and extras are separate repositories
and this forces us to use "gits" (git slave script - available in the top
level directory digikam-sc)

gits is nothing but a wrapper script around git to make using a lot of
different repositories
easy. So, there are a few cases where we must use "gits" instead of "git"
Quoting from the gits man page
"

The basic theory is that there are a few sub-commands (prepare, attach,
populate) which help set up the meta-project for gits operations. Then, for
any git command which is not file specific (git add <filename>; git reset
<filename>; etc), you should use ``gits'' instead of ``git'', and the
command will run on all repositories in the project.
"
so ideally to pull in all the changes we must
$pwd
/home/kunal/workspace/digikam-GIT/digikam-sc
$./gits remote -v show
On: core:
  origin        git://anongit.kde.org/digikam (fetch)
  origin        ssh://git@git.kde.org/digikam (push)
On: .:
  origin        git://anongit.kde.org/scratch/mwiesweg/digikam-sc (fetch)
  origin        git at git.kde.org:scratch/mwiesweg/digikam-sc (push)
On: extra/libkmap:
  origin        git://anongit.kde.org/libkmap (fetch)
  origin        ssh://git@git.kde.org/libkmap (push)
On: extra/kipi-plugins:
  origin        git://anongit.kde.org/kipi-plugins (fetch)
  origin        ssh://git@git.kde.org/kipi-plugins (push)
On: extra/libkface:
  origin        git://anongit.kde.org/libkface (fetch)
  origin        ssh://git@git.kde.org/libkface (push)

On Mon, Feb 7, 2011 at 9:10 PM, Aditya Bhatt <adityabhatt1991 at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I just tried cloning and got the same error as Gilles (after long waiting
> and a timeout):
>
> fatal: The remote end hung up unexpectedly.
>
> I think there's something wrong with the git server(s), this problem was
> still there while pulling 3-4 hours ago.
>
> That said, it worked yesterday.
>

> On Mon, Feb 7, 2011 at 6:40 PM, Gert Kello <gert.kello at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> > [gilles at localhost core]$ git remote -v show
>> > origin  git://anongit.kde.org///digikam (fetch)
>> > origin  ssh://git@git.kde.org/digikam (push)
>>
>> Not sure if three slashes in git://anongit.kde.org///digikam is Ok?
>>
>> And I have git://anongit.kde.org/digikam.git (digikam.git vs digikam)
>>
>> Gert
>>

> --
> Adi

regards