[Digikam-devel] [digikam] /: On Linux, use Inotify directly for file notification changes

brad bkn at ithryn.net
Sun Dec 18 01:37:52 GMT 2011

On Monday, November 07, 2011 11:06:29 PM Marcel Wiesweg wrote:
> Git commit dcf2ba9d7e92d51b049bdd354f82ddbf75e51a31 by Marcel Wiesweg.
> Committed on 07/11/2011 at 22:47.
> Pushed by mwiesweg into branch 'master'.
>
> On Linux, use Inotify directly for file notification changes
>
> Use Sebastian Trueg's KInotify wrapper, if Inotify is available.
> This gives much more detailed reports and especially info when a file
> has been closed after write. For a detailed explanation, see
> http://trueg.wordpress.com/2011/10/13/taking-a-break-from-crash-fixing-for-u
> sability/ Separate the file watch code from AlbumManager to a new class,
> AlbumWatch. Do not watch directories recursively (convenient API, but often
> inefficient implementation out of our reach). We scan the directories
> anyway, it is possible and efficient to add each directory = album
> separately.
> If Inotify is not available (non-linux), the previous code based on
> KDirWatch and KIO is still used.

Sorry to chime in on this a month and a half late. I'm just getting around to building digikam on OS X again. It appears that this addition to digikam is causing problems on OS X. Above, it is stated that this should on effect linux; however this appears to be triggering an old QT but in OS X. There is a bug report, which is 'fixed' with code that still appears to trigger there error

here's the old bug report -- supposed to have been fix in 4.7:    https://bugreports.qt.nokia.com//browse/QTBUG-2478

Now when i run digikam, i am seeing only thumbnails that are cached but can't access any pictures (i get an error, can't load file) in my albums and constantly getting the following error (reported in the above bug report):

  QKqueueFileSystemWatcherEngine::addPaths: open: Too many open files in system
  QFileSystemWatcher: failed to add paths: /Volumes/Home Directory/Pictures/Saved pictures/Pic0193.jpg
  QKqueueFileSystemWatcherEngine::addPaths: open: Too many open files in system
  QFileSystemWatcher: failed to add paths: /Volumes/Home Directory/Pictures/Saved pictures/Pic0194.jpg
  QKqueueFileSystemWatcherEngine::addPaths: open: Too many open files in system
  QFileSystemWatcher: failed to add paths: /Volumes/Home Directory/Pictures/Saved pictures/Pic0195.jpg
  QKqueueFileSystemWatcherEngine::addPaths: open: Too many open files in system
  QFileSystemWatcher: failed to add paths: /Volumes/Home Directory/Pictures/Saved pictures/Pic0200.jpg
  QKqueueFileSystemWatcherEngine::addPaths: open: Too many open files in system
  QFileSystemWatcher: failed to add paths: /Volumes/Home Directory/Pictures/Saved pictures/Pic0201.jpg

Is anyone else building digikam on OS X and seeing this error? Or is it just me?
 - brad