[Digikam-devel] Feedback

Robbert Willmann Robert.Willmann at gmx.de
Fri Dec 9 09:39:55 GMT 2011

Hi,

I was looking for a tool to bring order into my folders full of photos. Then I found found digikam, which seemed to be the best of the tools I found. Thank you for your work on this.

While most features are very advanced, I miss a few features that (in my oppinion) are very basic. Maybe they exist and are only well hidden? Or if not, are they planned to be implemented?

Here are three examples for those features:

- Names of people
If I have several people on a photo, I can add their names as tags. And even if I have in short time a rediculous number of tags, this is usefull. But if another person looks at this, he would have no clue which name goes with which person. So what I miss is a feature to connect a name with a specific point on the photo.

- Dates
digikam is using the date in the embedded data of the file. But sometimes there is no date embedded, or worse, the embedded date is simply wrong. So I need a feature to assign a date to the picture.

- Text
Sometime you want to add a short explanation to a picture, like what occasion it was taken on or a memory connected to this photo. So I would need a feature to connect a text to it.

There are other features I would like to have, like adding specific datafields (for example: who made this photo) but the three named above are the most important to me. Is there any chance they will be impolemented sometime in a forseeable future? Or can I do something to help? (sadly I'm a bad coder :-(

Keep up the good work,

Robert.