[Digikam-devel] First steps with the new features: face recognition and versioning

Martin Klapetek martin.klapetek at gmail.com
Wed Sep 8 22:22:08 BST 2010

Thanks a lot for this feedback, I'll provide answers for the part concerning
Versioning.

On Wed, Sep 8, 2010 at 19:51, Sven Burmeister <sven.burmeister at gmx.net>wrote:

> Hi!
>
> Versioning:
> I found versioning when saving an image, so everything fine here, since one
> does not need that feature if one does not save images. However since I did
> not find a "save" item anymore in the file menu I thought that "new
> version"
> replaces "save". Thus I was surprised to see that the digikam album view
> showed both versions since I expected "new version" to "overwrite" the
> original, i.e. that the album view would only show the new picture.

> Thinking about it it does make sense though to be able to have multiple
> visible versions a picture, e.g. for comparing them on the light table.
> However I think that "overwriting" is a valid use case as well because I do
> not want to see the original in the album view if I corrected some colour
> or
> contrast in the picture or resized it. I just want to see the final
> version.

> Thus I think that there should be a "save" item which "overwrites" the
> previous version, i.e. hides it in the album view and there should be the
> "new
> version" item which does exactly what it does now, i.e. duplicate the
> picture
> and create a separate version of it.

There is an option for exactly this in the options menu. You can either have
all of the version visible, or have only the latest version visible. But
this is not fully implemented yet. It is ready though, we just need a few
database queries for that and few lines of code here and there and it will
be working. Default behaviour will most probably be keeping only one version
visible (or more as you can create a whole tree with several branches).

> The album view just showed a "?" as icon at the bottom-right of the
> thumbnail
> for the new versions. And I think that the versioning tab is too hidden,
> i.e.
> clicking on that little new icon or right-clicking the image should give
> access to the versions or open the versioning tab. At least "revert to
> original" should be available from the right-click menu. There is a toolbar
> button in the image editor but the album view lacks that feature.

Hm, there should be an icon for now, not "?". Anyway, this will get replaced
once the thing described above is done, there will be different marking of
versions. About the context menu - at least the revert menu item could be
there. Good idea, thanks.

> Within the image editor I found the following:
> - the text next to the thumbnails in the "versions" tab is black even for
> the
> dark theme, so it's black text on black background. (The same is true for
> the
> album view's standard toolbar btw)

Ok, I'll set it to theme color.

> - if one creates a new version of the picture the new thumbnail is not
> added
> to the "versions" tab until one clicks on another picture in the preview
> pane
> and back.

Yes, this is work in progress.

> - if one right clicks on one of the applied filters it shows a "remove
> filter"
> pop-up yet one cannot click it, i.e. nothing happens.

Also work in progress. No ETA on this feature though as I'd like to make the
versioning itself really stable and usable first.

> - clicking on the version thumbnails does not show them in the main editor
> window

Known issue, WIP ;)

> - saving a new version will add that thumbnail to the bottom of the preview
> pane instead of where it belongs according to the sorting.

Now I'm just not sure what you mean by that...

> That's it until now. I'll keep on using and testing and provide feedback if
> it's wanted.

Sure they are, so please do test and report.

Thanks, Marty