[Digikam-devel] Re: Status of face detection

Marcel Wiesweg marcel.wiesweg at gmx.de
Sun Oct 31 13:59:20 GMT 2010

>  This time face detection (with opencv from svn) doesnt show the "Could not
> load classifier cascade" error, But, face detection does nothing it seems.
> It runs, progress bar et, but no result ecept a popup anouncing digikam has
> updaed the face databse...
>   there are a few things that may be of interest:
> Cascade directory located as : /usr/share/opencv/haarcascades

Please ensure you really have the cascades:

ls /usr/share/opencv/haarcascades/
haarcascade_eye_tree_eyeglasses.xml   haarcascade_lefteye_2splits.xml
haarcascade_mcs_righteye.xml
haarcascade_eye.xml                   haarcascade_lowerbody.xml
haarcascade_mcs_upperbody.xml
haarcascade_frontalface_alt2.xml      haarcascade_mcs_eyepair_big.xml
haarcascade_profileface.xml
haarcascade_frontalface_alt_tree.xml  haarcascade_mcs_eyepair_small.xml
haarcascade_righteye_2splits.xml
haarcascade_frontalface_alt.xml       haarcascade_mcs_lefteye.xml
haarcascade_upperbody.xml
haarcascade_frontalface_default.xml   haarcascade_mcs_mouth.xml
haarcascade_fullbody.xml              haarcascade_mcs_nose.xml

> Error: Directory Unknown with def3 entries considered invalid; not read.
> Scaling with darkness 0, saturation 3968, and
> multipliers 2.229557 1.000000 1.356650 1.000000
> Converting to sRGB colorspace...
> Error: Directory Unknown with def3 entries considered invalid; not read.
>
> and billions of these which I always get...
>  Warning: Directory Thumbnail, entry 0x0201: Data area exceeds data buffer,
> ignoring it.

As Gilles already pointed out, you can safely ignore all these errors.

If you want debug output from libface, you need to compile it in debug mode
(give  -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Debug  to cmake), it does not use kDebug.
Then you 'll get console output about parameters, primary detection, face
regions verified, and time needed for all this.

Marcel