[Digikam-devel] Status of face detection

Marcel Wiesweg marcel.wiesweg at gmx.de
Thu Oct 21 15:54:06 BST 2010

Hi,

in my impression, the face detection, both in backend and UI, has matured
enough now that it deserves some wider testing.
(be sure to have libface from yesterday, and also OpenCV 2.1.0)

I have scanned about 3000 real-life holiday images in the last days.
The scanning is on the "fast and safe" side: You will have false positives,
but the real faces form the majority. You will easily find faces which are not
recognized - strong shadows, rotated head, closed eyes are typical.
But my overall impression is quite good (at least I have this evidence with a
certain female face I happen to take photos of quite often)

Since some weeks, only one cascade in libface is used for initial scanning,
which makes is considerably faster. I need less than an hour for 1000 images.
(That means of course a face will not be found if this cascade does not find
it)

There are some known issues with the UI:
- in the icon view, when a face from the "Unconfirmed" folder is confirmed or
rejected, there is a slight delay before the view is refreshed. Ideally, the
face should disappear immediately, but that's not easy to do properly
- the overlays only act on the single, hovered image. I plan to make them act
on all selected images, with a tooltip-like indicator for this fact
- in the icon view, it's a line edit, in the preview view, a combo box. We'll
see which solution is better
- the popups in the preview view are clipped to within the view. There's a Qt
bug involved, it's not easy to solve.
- there are two different popups from the combo box: a tree view for
selection, and a list view for completion when typing. Though, the problems to
solve by these popups are different as well
- the counter on the tree view of the People side bar does not work - it still
counts tag assignments, 0 for unconfirmed, not faces.
- when scrolling with the mouse wheel, scrolling gets stuck when over one of
the confirm/reject tool buttons

Issues with the face scanner and dialog:
- selecting the albums / tags to scan, child albums are not scanned
- missing to set a lower thread priority for the worker threads.

Recognition:
Dont test recognition. It is currently reworked by Alex. We must add an option
to retrain all confirmed images later.

Marcel