[Digikam-devel] Re: Cleaning up the main toolbar

Gilles Caulier caulier.gilles at gmail.com
Wed Nov 17 13:34:46 GMT 2010

2010/11/17 Marcel Wiesweg <marcel.wiesweg at gmx.de>:
> Hi,
>
> I am thinking about which actions should be available in the main toolbar, and
> how to improve grouping in the menus.
> The toolbar should contain only the most important actions in the central
> workflow. Of course, in KDE everything is configurable, so this is about
> default decisions.
>
> This would be my suggestions:
>
> Toolbar:
> -
> Editor
> Light Table
> Batch Process
> Import
> ---
> Thumbnails
> View
> Map
> ---
> Presentation
> -
>
> Remarks:
> First group: Access to the main "extra windows" of digikam, the image editor,
> the light table, the batch queue manager, and the camera ui.
> Light table and BQM can act depending on if there is a current selection.
> "Import" should check the availability of cameras, if multiple, provide a
> choice dialog.
> Second group: These are mutually exclusive: toggling between the middle panel
> states icon view, preview view and map view.
>

> Menu:
>
> Album/New, Properties, Open in File manager, Open in terminal, Write/Read
> metadata, Delete and Tag/ New, Properties, Delete are removed from the main
> menu, instead the become available from the respective left sidebars.
> The first menu entry is then:
> Album/
> -
> Back
> ---
> Albums
> Tags
> Calendar
> Map
> People
> ---
> Quit
> -
> that is, pointing to the left sidebar as main areas of control (including the
> suggestion to move Tags before Calendar)
>
> Image/ and Edit/:
> This is difficult. Image/ is a monster menu, Edit/ only has three entries.
> Some entries seem to belong to Edit/: Open in Editor, Adjust Exif, Rotate,
> Flip, black/white, date/time adjust, metadata, rename.
> The rest does not belong to any other menu, assuming "Image/" is our
> replacement for traditional "File/".
>

> View/:
> -
> Zoom +
> Zoom -
> ---
> View Mode (->Thumbnails,View,Map)
> Presentation
> Full Screen Mode
> ---
> Preview View -> ( fit zoom, 1:1 zoom, show thumbbar)
> [...]

For me all is fine. About menu, the most bloated item is Image, with
all plugin actions.

What's about Tags menu entry. It's lost ? This one is important and
must be updated with all main option available from right sidebar
(caption/tags pop-up menu)

Most of lead pop-up menu entries are missing into main menu from album
gui. user must play with digikam before to see pop-up menu. main menu
is always visible, so main actions must be there.

Under macos-x, i see that pop-up menu available from right mouse
button is disable by default. I need to go to Mac Config Panel/Mouse
Settings to enable it. Can you image the first impression from a new
user under mac.

Note : under mac, GoSC2010 code compile fine under XCode...