[Digikam-devel] including libkmap and libkface to kdegraphics/libs for KDE 4.6...

Gilles Caulier caulier.gilles at gmail.com
Fri Nov 5 12:54:29 GMT 2010

Hi KDE release team,

This summer, digiKam team has work on 2 new features : face detection
and reverse geocoding.

These features have been implemented using Google Summer of code 2010.
You can see more information at these pages :

http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/Digikam/CodingSprint2010

For Face detection we have implemented a shared library named "libkface"

http://websvn.kde.org/branches/extragear/graphics/libkface/

For Reverse-Geocoding we have implemented another shared library named "libkmap"

http://websvn.kde.org/branches/extragear/graphics/libkmap/

Both libraries are hosted in a dedicated branche from KDE subversion repository.

As you can see, in digiKam release plan, 2.0 version is planed for may 2011 :

http://www.digikam.org/drupal/about/releaseplan

To be able to share this libraries between digiKam/kipi-plugins and
others part of KDE applications, we have planed to move this code from
GoSC2010 branche to kdegraphics/libs. Remember that digiKam team
already maintain 3 shared libraries named libkipi, libkexiv2, and
libkdcraw.

To have digiKam and kipi-plugins 2.0 compatibile with KDE 4.6, it will
be nice to move libkmap and libkface to kdegraphics/libs soon, if you
are agree of course.

What do you think about ? This plan still compatible with KDE 4.6
release rules :

http://techbase.kde.org/Schedules/KDE4/4.6_Release_Schedule

Thanks in advance

Gilles Caulier