[Digikam-devel] Digikam Crash from Assert in libexiv2

Todd Goodman tsg at bonedaddy.net
Sat May 22 15:16:06 BST 2010

* Marcel Wiesweg <marcel.wiesweg at gmx.de> [100522 06:08]:

> > I'm getting a digikam crash everytime I try to start up digikam (and it
> > scans my files.)
> >
> > It's in libexiv2 (SVN from today, May 21, 2010.)
> >
> > I've tried looking some but would appreciate any pointers.  It looks
> > like the write fails but I'm not quite sure what's being written (TIFF
> > metadata to where?)
> >
> > I have lots of diskspace both on the image and SQLite database
> > filesystem (the same local disk.)
> >
> > I added debug and see that the group name is CANON and sv is four more
> > bytes than what was returned as having been written (I don't have that
> > debug in this trace since I just updated exiv2.)
> >
> > I suspect it's the same file each time but am not sure how to get the
> > filename from inside the exiv2 code.
> >
> > The last few lines of the stdout/stderr and stack backtrace are below.
> >
> > If anyone has any suggestions for debugging this I'd appreciate it.
>
> The best thing to do is isolating the file causing the crash.
> Is any filename printed on the console, before the debug output you included
> in your mail?

Hi Marcel,

No, the filename wasn't printed.  However, I decided to throw an error
before the assert in that case and now it continues the scan (I assume
messing up the already bogus metadata on that file?)

I missed that error in the scrollback buffer this time but I'll make
sure I have the filename when the error is caught and redirect stderr
and stdout to a file so I can find it next time.

Thanks,

Todd